Myths and facts about laser hair removal

1) Many people say that laser hair removal is harmful. Is that right? How safe is this procedure?

Stereotypes never show up empty: the laser equipment of the past has had its drawbacks. As technology has evolved, the devices have become safer and no longer can cause skin burns in the incompetent hands of a specialist.

Safety questions of the procedure are still among the most popular . Of course, there are absolutely ridiculous ones. For example, many people ask if there will be skin cancer after the procedure. The chance of its occurrence is not higher than the probability of getting brain cancer after a conversation on a mobile phone.

Today, alexandrite lasers (of the previous generation) are still very common: the risk of burns is higher with them. A specialist who works with such equipment must have a very high level of qualification and experience.

2) Can I get rid of unwanted hair in one procedure?

This is probably the dream of all patients.
Laser hair removal, like any other promising long-term effect, is only done on course, as all known ways are to influence the follicle through the growing hair in it. Visible hair is only 10-20% of all the follicles existing on the skin, they are constantly changing from the active phase of growth to a sleeping state, replacing each other. With this course we set the task to influence all the follicles waking up again and again.

3) How many laser hair removal procedures do you need to achieve maximum effect?

In 90% of cases, 6-8 procedures are required to completely stop the appearance of new hair. The remaining 10% (e.g., when there are some hormonal problems) can be as high as 10 or even 14. Each treatment removes up to 10 to 20% of the total number of hair follicles: only those that are in the active phase of hair growth. The period between treatments is 3-5 weeks. It makes no sense to do more often, it is less often possible, but at the same time the final day of the treatment will be shifted as well. The first procedures in the course are usually done after 3 weeks, the range is gradually extended to the end of the course.

4) How long does laser hair removal last? Can I get rid of my hair forever?

There is no way to get rid of hair forever: hair follicles tend to recover. How long it takes for them to recover depends primarily on your hormonal background: what it is now and how it can change “tomorrow”. Worldwide practice has shown the duration of the effect up to 8 years, provided that 1-2 supporting procedures per year after the end of the laser hair removal course.

5) Can I remove hair in other ways (e.g. waxing, electric hair removal, etc.) between laser hair removal sessions?

Unfortunately, no. If you have started a laser hair removal course, you can only shave your hair during the course. Depilation cream is also not recommended, as it can thin the hair under the skin, which will also significantly reduce the effectiveness of the laser.

As for any methods of hair removal associated with the removal of hair from the root, their use will reduce the effect of laser hair removal procedure to zero, as the laser affects the hair follicle through the hair itself, which grows in it. The hair contains the pigment melanin, which forms the color of the hair and which under the influence of laser light is heated along its entire length to the root. This heating seals the blood vessel that nourishes the follicle, after which it dies. And if there is no hair, the energy will not reach the follicle.

Stick to the following rules:

  • Shave your hair so that no cuts are made, and do not use the laser on damaged or irritated skin.
  • Do not tan 2 weeks before and after the procedure, even if another medical center promised that you can sunbathe immediately and do the procedure for a fresh tan, we do not recommend you to try it on yourself. All skin reactions are different.
  • 2-3 weeks before the start of laser hair removal, stop pulling your hair out in any way: during the procedure, the follicles should be healthy and the hair should be in it (although shaved at skin level).
  • Do not apply any lotions or creams to the skin areas where the procedure will be performed before coming to the medical center.
  • Be sure to check the list of contraindications in which the procedure cannot be performed.

This website uses cookies.